When we think about our outdoor living space, we often think about adding a built-in grill onto our patio or maybe a sink with storage cabinets. But we often forget about the access doors. Including a kitchen in your outdoor living space allows for enjoyable cooking and al fresco dining that can last well beyond the summer months. A well-designed outdoor kitchen crafted with carefully chosen materials certainly increases the value of the investment and adds longevity. So what is a proven material? Stainless steel.
Among the options available for outdoor kitchen cabinets are a variety of wood species, including cypress, ipe, teak, bamboo and others, as well as polymers, high density polyethylene (HDPE), masonry and stainless steel. While many outdoor kitchens include one or more of these materials in the outdoor space, stainless steel is often the popular choice for the cabinet boxes and cabinet doors due to its durability and high quality.
As you weigh your cabinet options, consider these 5 benefits to selecting stainless steel outdoor kitchen cabinet doors:
- Finish Options – While many think of stainless steel as polished silver, there are a variety of finishes including powder coating with a specific color or wood grain finish style. An eco-friendly and sustainable method of coating stainless steel cabinets, it also helps minimize maintenance. The powder coat finishes also protects the stainless steel itself from chips, spills, stains and unsightly finger prints and provides a strong defense against corrosion and environmental conditions.
- Marine Grade – Stainless steel outdoor kitchen doors easily handle the salty challenges that beachfront properties and seaside escapes pose. The two most popular grades of stainless steel for outdoor cooking environments are 304 and 316L, also known as marine-grade stainless steel. Their numbers are determined by their alloy composition. For a material to be considered stainless steel, at least 10.5% of the make-up must be chromium. Additional alloys typically include nickel, titanium, aluminum, copper, nitrogen, phosphorous, selenium and molybdenum. The key difference between the 304 and the 316L is the addition of molybdenum in the 316L. It is the molybdenum that enhances corrosion resistance in environments rich in salt air and chloride – giving 316L the moniker of “marine grade” stainless steel.
- Longevity – Wood requires consistent and regular maintenance to extend its life, while plastics and HDPE tend to lose their shape in the heat. Stucco islands often experience water damage from rain and puddling water. However, regardless of the grade of stainless steel, this choice in cabinet door material exceeds the life cycle of other typical alternatives mentioned above to extend the life of the doors and the overall integrity of the outdoor kitchen. Regardless of your material, proper cleaning helps extends the life of outdoor kitchen cabinet doors – even stainless steel.
- Bacterial and Fungal Resistance – Stainless steel has a non-porous laboratory work surface, ensuring no liquids, bacteria, fungus or mold can penetrate it. This means that bacteria, fungi, and dirt have nowhere to hide. With routine cleaning practices, the risk of germs spreading or cross contamination occurring is significantly reduced. So, if the outdoor kitchen chef is prepping chicken and opens a cabinet door to reach for a knife, the easy to clean surface poses no health risk!
- Eco-Friendly – Stainless steel is not just a durable, beautiful and resilient material. It is also an eco-friendly outdoor cabinet material. Stainless steel is entirely recyclable and, with its extreme strength, the need to replace cabinet doors often is reduced. Great for the environment and financially, it’s a win-win. Known for a variety of traits, stainless steel continues to be a popular choice not only for doors but entire outdoor kitchen cabinets.
Brown Jordan Outdoor Kitchens offers 8 exclusive door styles. All door styles come with a powder coat finish.
Contact us to discover outdoor kitchen stainless steel doors and frames and cabinetry options for your next outdoor living project available from Brown Jordan Outdoor Kitchens by calling 203-626-5625. We are helping transform the entertainment space to the outdoors.